"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

You've Made My Day

This morning while I was on rounds throughout the hospital, I stopped to talk with one of the nurse managers.  She told me that one of her staff nurses included in the comments section of her performance evaluation that she wanted to sit down and have a cup of coffee with the CEO.  The nurse asked the nurse manager if she could arrange that.  The nurse manager said that she would try.  

Well, it just so happened that this particular staff nurse was working today.  I had the opportunity to meet and briefly chat with Kiea Barnes.  She said that she had heard so much about me and wanted the opportunity to meet me and to sit down and have a cup of coffee.  I asked her if a cup of tea would work and she said of course.  It was a very pleasant conversation, ending with her saying that meeting me made her day.  I told Kiea that she certainly made my day as it was very kind of her to want to sit down with me just to talk.   And talk we will; arrangements are  already underway for our chat.  

I was told many years ago by my predecessor that when it comes to how people view a CEO, they see you sitting on top of a flag pole.  One group looks at you and admires what it took for you to get up there.  The second group says that you are crazy for being up there and the third group tries to shake the pole to get you to fall off.  Kiea is certainly in the first group and it is very much appreciated.  I am so fortunate to have such a wonderful group of employees like Kiea who support what we are trying to do each day to advance care delivery in our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment